The Skull Knight's sword is a thorned sword wielded by the Skull Knight against inhumans. The Skull Knight possesses a sword technique whereby his sword is coated in the molten mass of countless ingested beherits stored within him, forming the Sword of Beherits[expl 1] (喚び水の剣; literally "Sword of Pump-priming"; Dark Horse: Sword of Actuation).
Story[edit | edit source]
The Skull Knight is forced to unveil his Sword of Beherits following Slan's abrupt disappearance in the deepest level of Qliphoth. He uses it to send the subsequent swarm of multiplying trolls and ogres swirling into an abyssal vortex before tearing open a portal leading to Qliphoth's uppermost level, which he uses to escape with Guts and return the swordsman to his companions.
Later, atop the twice reincarnated Ganishka, the Skull Knight uses the Sword of Beherits in a seeming attempt at Femto's life; however, the sword stroke aimed for Femto is redirected by the demon toward Ganishka, tearing open the apostle-emperor's twice reincarnated form and triggering the Great Roar of the Astral World.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
In its normal form, the Skull Knight's sword has considerable cutting power. With it, he is able to cleave through and dismember multiple monstrous enemies in his path.
By virtue of being comprised of numerous molten beherits, the Sword of Beherits is likewise capable of reaching into the deepest depths of the Astral World. It can also be used to tear open astral subspace portals leading to other locations within the Physical World, allowing for nigh-instant transmission. A space-distorting sword stroke dealt by the Sword of Beherits splintered Ganishka's twice reincarnated form and brought about the Great Roar of the Astral World.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- 喚 (yobimizu no tsurugi) is an amplification of 呼 (ikai e no yobimizu), conveying an act of initiation of greater intensity (nuanced in interpretation and extending to calling, awakening, summoning, etc.); e.g., the elevation of a "call" to a "scream". This parallels how the sword is comprised of numerous beherits rather than a single one, and how it is capable of cutting through dimensional layers rather than merely summoning a dimensional plane.
- Despite commonly being colored crimson in mediums outside of the Berserk manga, the Sword of Beherits has no confirmed color. Additionally, whereas a Crimson Beherit is reserved exclusively for members of the God Hand, the Skull Knight clarifies that the beherits which constitute the Sword of Beherits are those he has taken from apostles specifically.
- "Sword of Resonance" is a well-known mistranslation of the sword's name.
- The sword's beherit coating is something the Skull Knight can place and remove at will, as after the incident in Qliphoth, the knight was later seen at Flora's mansion wielding his sword in its normal form.
Explanations[edit | edit source]
- ^ A key part of the sword technique's original Japanese name, 喚び水 (yobimizu), is shared with 異界への呼び水 (ikai e no yobimizu; literally "drops of primed water leading to another world"), the name beherits are referred to as in the original volume 13 version of episode 82. 呼び水 refers to pump-priming, particularly relating to water pumping (with 水 meaning "water"). Though "Sword of Actuation" communicates the act of initiation conveyed by 喚, it fails to incorporate the attribute of "water" conveyed by 水.
References[edit | edit source]
|Concepts & Events|